Monday, July 16, 2007

Dixon Place #5

After a two week respite I'm back here on the blog! I had some good news this week. I was cast in Andrew Lawton's upcoming film Wake. Andrew said it was a grueling decision and no doubt that's true. Casting is always tricky. It can make or break any project and you can't always be certain what sort of work you'll be able to pull from an actor. I'm delighted, of course, that I landed the role, especially in light of my last blog - On Crying . I welcome the opportunity to dig deep down and try to give a truthful performance that meets the demands of the script. For more information on filmmaker Andrew Lawton, visit Pier's End Productions.

Director Eva Burgess and I continued our work together at Dixon Place. You may recall that we have embarked on a theatrical exploration based upon some themes presented in the novel
Peyton Place by Grace Metalious. We're also exploring the story of my own sexual abuse as part of the impulse to create the piece. It's pretty dicey terrain for me, but Eva has empowered me to keep moving ahead. Her work is very physical, and today we created a series of images that can be strung together into a "story". The images are not necessarily literal manifestations of any particular event. They are impulses, hunches, conjectures. But a story of course emerges for the audience, and as the actor I find that I'm less self-aware in creating these images than I would be just talking, or approaching the work head on. After the image work we did a writing exercise which could create some or all of the text that would accompany a series of movements. This is a very intriguing way to work because it taps the conscious in a non-threatening way, and makes room for sub-conscious impulses to emerge as well. Thank you again, Eva. You're a genius.