Thursday, January 17, 2008

Saved by The Long Arm of the Law & Order (or How I Managed to Not Take the GREs)


This is truly one for the book.

There I was, yesterday afternoon, sitting at my computer and trying to solve an algebraic equation! Egads. I w
as scheduled to take the GREs today in preparation for my application to various graduate schools. At 5:30 pm, I got a phone call from my agent David Cash, saying that Law & Order wanted to hire me for a week, would I be available. Uh...yes. "Your first day would be tomorrow". Huh?

So much for the GRE.

I had auditioned for this new episode ("Tango") last Wednesday, and was completely flummoxed because I waited an hour and a half to get in. It was also the first night of the Winter Workshop which I am teaching with Eva Burgess , and I finally told Suzanne Ryan (Law & Order's casting director) that I had to leave. She squeezed me in, but I was in such a tizzy I assumed that was the end of it.


And it
was. They cast somebody else.

But, whomever they cast suddenly booked a commercial and I was their next pick. So lo and behold...the role was mine. Not bad. A week's work on a network show in the middle of a writer's strike. I'm stoked!

I immediately contacted Ted Sluberski, and had a great coaching session.

So today I showed up at Chelsea Piers at 5pm and was rushed into hair and make-up. I got a
great free haircut. And then on to wardrobe. Before I knew it, I was sitting in a bustling courtroom watching the work of such esteemed actors as Jeffrey DeMunn, Marlyne N. Afflack, Maria Dizzia, Valerie Whitman, Alana de la Garza...it was wild! Peter Parros was superb as Judge Matthew Alden, as was Eli Ganias who plays the court Clerk.

While I was in hair and make-up, Jesse L. Martin (who plays detective Green on the show) came in to chat. It's Jesse's birthday tomorrow (January 18) and apparently there had been cake. He was talkin
g to Marlyne about The Wire, and was so passionate about the show, wondering why it hadn't been nominated for an Emmy for Best Ensemble. He went on and on about how underrated the show is. ( I can't wait to watch it on DVD. I don't have cable, so I've never seen it.) And then the conversation turned to my friend John Doman (pictured on left), who is one of the stars of The Wire. John did a guest-star on Law & Order back in December, and everyone was so delighted to work with him. I was grinning to myself, thinking I just directed John Doman in reading of Orange Alert. How lucky was I to have such a great actor!

All I can say is...thank God for Dick Wolf. I don't know how they managed to keep shooting while every
one else isn't working. But I'm so grateful for the opportunity. And for the paycheck. Maybe now I can have my teeth cleaned.

Ciao for now.
Wayne